Today was a lovely lazy day here, so what’s a girl to do? Make some chocolate macaroons of course! 😀
A few people have asked for my recipe, and I was waiting until I perfected it to my liking before giving it out and I do believe I am now pretty happy with my recipe so here you go:
- 1 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened raw coconut
- 3/4 cup raw almond flour (or ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup raw coconut oil (easily found in most health food stores)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa (or cacao) powder
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave (heat for 20 seconds at a time until completely melted)
- Mix all remaining ingredients together until combined
- Using a mini scoop (if you don’t have a mini scoop use your tablespoon measuring spoon) to make uniform little macaroon mounds spaced out on a cookie sheet. You should have around 30.
- dehydrate in your oven at 170 degrees with the door propped open a few inches (I use a rolled up cup towel to keep the oven door slightly open) for 2-3 hours until they have reached your desired dryness.
Obviously if you have a dehydrator that is the preferable method to dehydrate the cookies but it’s good to know they are still easily made even without a dehydrator.
I’ve read that some people find they can dry them by leaving them on the counter over night or in the refrigerator. I’ve tried both methods and found that the cookies remained too wet and fell apart too easily when I tried those methods.
Wondering about the food stats? Well these are certainly not to be considered health food but compared to many other cookies they measure up pretty well.
The fat content is fairly high but that is due to the coconut oil which is a very health oil, but each cookie has nearly a full gram of fibre and protein, only 3.5g of sugar and around 60 calories. Not too bad!
One thing the nutrition facts chart doesn’t cover – taste, and baby these ‘roons are yummy! In fact I think it’s time to go have one 😉